Hopefully Tiger is okay here, I will just let you guys read the TMZ story. Judging by Tigers eyes on Sunday he could be in a bad place again but let’s hope not and he recovers quick.
Not a bad weekend….
This weekend the NHL has its outdoor series in Lake Tahoe, the games had to be postpones due to sun exposure. I am sure a handful if not most of you know. This is the same course that they have the Lake Tahoe Celebrity classic at Edgewood Tahoe golf course. Interesting fact about Edgewood, The course record was 64 set by Lee Trevino. That record was broken last year by Professional Tennis player Marty Fish who fired a 63 in the celebrity tournament.
If I had a nickel for everytime I did this….I also love the line “He’s playing a 1 person tennis match”
February 16th, 1996 we were introduced to Happy, Chubbs, and Grandma in what is considered to be one of the top golf movies of all time. Probably about 8th in my opinion but none the less a great movie and also staring of of New Hampshires biggest stars Adam Sandler. For those who dont know, and this may not even a true fact but I believe that swing was actually from an individual from this area who may or may not be a teacher in the Manchester school district and possibly might be a golf coach, although I would have to confirm that. Either way, next time you watch the flick, consider these things.
- The swing: I mean, does this work, we have all messed with it, tried it, looked at our friends while we did it and exclaimed ” I think I actually hit it further when I do it this way” We all suck with regular swings and we would just continue to suck if we swung like this consistently, and would be exhausted by the 8th hole and 49 swings into it.
2. The horrible attention to golf detail: Well, for starters when Happy is first noticed at the range, he is driving the ball past a 400 yard marker at the range, I have yet to ever see one of those. Kyle Berkshire who is currently the worlds long driver winner average 360 yards per drive which means that Happy would have out driven him by 40 yards. Bryson Dechambeau currently averages 337 yards. Happy Putts with a hockey stick, that cant be USGA conforming. Numerous hole fly overs that clearly are not from the course they are playing the Waterbury Classic on. Having to play a ball from a someone foot is also one of those rules that may have been ignored.
3. Verne Lundquist was hesitant to play this role because he was not sure of what Augusta would think. Keep in mind Verne has called several moments in sports you will never forget and called them perfectly including Leatners game winning shot vs Kentucky, Tiger Woods Chip in at the 2005 masters, and yet after all that what fans will truly remember him for is the ol “Who the hell is Happy Gilmore”
4. Lee Trevino Cameo: “Grizzly Addams Did have a beard” Enough said.
5. Shooter Mcgavin: Forget sports cinema; McGavin might be the greatest cinematic villain, period. Played brilliantly by Christopher McDonald, McGavin is a jealous, callous, obnoxious bastard. He steals every scene, with every line more poetic than anything Walt Whitman could conjure. If I had a nickel for everytime I got invited to the 9th green at 9:00.
Bob Barker Fight Scene: I would have loved to be in the screenplay pitch when, “So, we were thinking we’d have a tournament mimic the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, with Sandler paired with Bob Barker, and eventually they fight to the death” came up. It’s wonderfully orchestrated, with Barker buying into the scene wholeheartedly:
7. Ben Stiller: kills it as the nursing home attendant, he is such a dick and truthfully I think it is his best role other than Dodgeball but I am not a huge Ben Stiller fan.
After an abysmal 2020 Colony Cup performance in which Mass absolutely piss pounded us, NH knew they had to go out and find some top players to get back to form in 2021 and did just that. Between stumbling into quality players during random rounds and finding friends of friends and persuading them to join the LFG 2021 class, NH should have some low scores during events this upcoming season. Here are some key additions who have earned/Paid for there LFG card going into the 2021 season. Let’s keep in mind, our league was and will continue to be designed for the average weekend hacker but as we have grown we have adjusted to getting some single digit and scratch golfers who recognize the tournament format and use our events as practice rounds for NHGA events as well as just another option for them to get out there and play in a competitive format with a chance to win some prizes. That being said, I would like to welcome to the league.
- Dorian Carr 1.8
- Vitaly Rizhevsky 6.3
- Jason Rowe 5.8
- Rick Dichard 2.0
- Keith Taylor 7.4
We look forward to being able to go and compete against these players week and week out, We all know that golfers who play with guys who are better will only help all of us improve our own game. Let’s Keep spreading the word, we are at about 40 members and we would love to get to 50!
We also have heard that is is difficult for low handicaps to win, I do think that is just not true. It is tough for anyone to win our events and requires any player to play one of their best rounds. Especially with the high number of participants we are getting per event. It requires a player to play there best round and get a little bit of luck. I do assure all players, that every event is up for grabs for all our players and if you play your best and truly feel like you deserve the win, you will probably win.
This 19 year old Phenom was lights out yesterday as he just calmly fired a 64 and sits just 2 strokes off the lead. The last time all 18 greens were hit was in 2008 and has only been done about 6 times. It’s an incredible feat. Enjoy the highlights here.
For those who did not catch it, this weekend was the premiere for “The edge betcast” which is now streaming on peacock for their premium users. I did not watch it, but they did have a few cut ins for those viewers on the golf channel. it seems like these host did their best to try to merge the golf analyst with also giving a play by play which is difficult to do. Got to keep it all betting, or all coverage. Either way, it is pretty cool that golf is at least trying to find their niche in this market. Looks like the host got hammered with their “Fake” plays. We all obviously enjoy gambling on golf and the live stuff is fun, but can quickly dangerous so gamble responsibly.
Guy got peppered off the shoulder, he got up and is alright though…hate to see anyone get hit but apparently my daughter thinks it’s funny…
Tough weekend in the world, and even more in the sports world with the passing of Hank Aaron, also we had the icon Larry King pass away. Here is a great interview of him from 1997 with Arnold Palmer. Some great things to think about considering it was 24 years ago.